Tuesday 16 September 2014

Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies #CreativeCookieExchange


The theme this month is Comfort Food Cookies, what could be nicer than a cookie the tastes like a cake. These cookies are a bit like a whoopee pie and just the thing for a easy hand held dessert.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups grated (shredded) carrot
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
  • 1 large egg
  • 125gm plain flour  (all-purpose flour about 1 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 180c (350°.) Cover 2 baking trays with baking paper; set aside.
  2. Combine carrot and 3 tablespoons brown sugar in a bowl; toss to coat. Place carrot mixture in a fine mesh sieve; let stand to drain for 10 minutes. Discard liquid.
  3. Place 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 45 seconds or until melted. Add oil, rind, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and egg; stir with a whisk until well combined.
  4. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, remaining brown sugar (about 1/2 cup), cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add carrot mixture and butter mixture; stir until just combined. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking trays,  gently pat dough down to form 2-inch circles. Bake at 180c (350°) for 11 minutes or until set. Remove pans from oven; let stand 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on a wire rack.
  5. Combine cream cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add icing sugar; beat at low speed 1 minute or until well combined (do not overbeat). Spread about 1 tablespoon icing on flat side of 1 cookie; top with another cookie, flat side down. Repeat the procedure with remaining cookies and filling.
Tips
 *Macerating the carrot with sugar helps to break down the carrot's tough fibers, ensuring that it will be tender after the short cook time. *After scooping dough onto baking sheets, gently pat it down so that cookies bake generally flat; aim for 2-inch circles. *When assembling the cookie sandwiches, press together gently so filling flattens and spreads all the way out to the edges.

*******

The theme this month is Comfort Food Cookies! What cookie says comfort food to you?  If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:








20 comments:

  1. I spy some cookies that I will bake over the holidays. What a great gift these would make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrot cake and the idea of having it turned in to a sandwich cookie is mind blowing! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very yummy! Thanks for sharing, Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love carrot cake and think this is a recipe I need to repeat at my house. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding?!?! I have never seen these before! How brilliant!!! They look delicicious!!!! I will be pinning these!! Have a great week friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every year for her birthday, my daughter asks for carrot cake with cream cheese icing. I know she would adore these. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter is home sick and watching over my shoulder, and when she saw your picture it got a big "YUM!" :D These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cookies looks so yummy... If it would have been possible to go inside the laptop and eat, then I would have done that for sure.... Love it....Thanx for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't those look delicious, I love carrot cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fantastic are these!! Great Idea! I know what I am making for the bake sale at my daughter's school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been having cake dreams all day. I must give these try. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cookies that taste like cake are always a good idea. Love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I can not have them, I can imagine they taste wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always strive to create cake like cookies. These are perfection!!!!! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow they look amazing! I would love to try this when I have more time. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a great recipe!
    I really enjoyed this post–both the writing and the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look absolutely heavenly, I love carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carrot cake is a favourite of mine, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carrot cake is my favourite! Have just printed this off and will be making some very soon! M x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I always enjoy reading what you have to say.